Now that I have my edible landscaping well underway, I feel like I have come to a standstill on moving further down the path toward Learning to Live Local on Less. Thus, I think it is time for a new to-do list.
1. Contact a local goat farmer and inquire about switching to local goat milk as our milk source. (If I had more space, I’d sure love to have my own goat!)
2. Research quail to learn how to better care for them and make this a sustainable egg source. (We are currently dealing with some in fighting, likely, because some are males. It is very difficult to tell the difference from male and female quail when they are babies, so we will need to figure out which are the males as they mature and trade them for females.)
3. Plan and prepare planting for a fall harvest.
4. Test soil from close to the foundation of the house for lead and asbestos to see if it is safe to add edibles along the edge of the house.
5. Investigate growing grains or finding an affordable local source of grains.
I suppose the above list includes enough next steps to keep me moving in the right direction. I’ll keep you posted.