Saturday, August 4, 2012

Homemade Salsa

For those of you who love chips and salsa and live in zones 5-7, there is simply no reason at all not to enjoy homemade salsa made from locally grown produce. 

Ingredients:  tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro...hmmm...if you don't have these items growing in abundance in your own kitchen garden, you can certainly find heaps of them at your local farmers' market.  Adjust the amounts of different types of peppers to find a heat level that suits you.  You may want to throw in a few other favorite ingredients to customize your salsa, or add a flavor absorber like yellow squash to stretch your salsa (a handy tip from my sister-in-law since I don't really like squash on its own). 

What to do:  throw it in the food processor, and voila, you have salsa.

The other day my husband thought we forgot to buy salsa at the store.  No such thing happened - we are just Learning to Live Local on Less!  :)    Even with minimal homesteading kitchen equipment, you can simply chop up the ingredients, stir them together, let it set long enough for the flavors to mingle together, and you will have a nice chunky salsa that looks closer to a pico de gallo than what I have pictured. 

I hate to admit, but in the interest of keeping it real, I must confess that I still use discount brand tortilla chips.  Maybe someday, I'll be fully self-sufficient and make those too, but it's all about the journey, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment