Friday, May 4, 2012

Budgeting on the Homestead


We all know that, even at the big box stores, organic and healthy food can cost more than highly processed junk food (in the U.S., that is…this is not the case everywhere…cause of much pondering and discussion in our house).  We also know that transforming our small plots of land to edible landscaping can cost a good chunk of change, even if we try to take a minimalist approach.  So, how are we going to afford this transition and make sure it is sustainable financially?

The first thing I am going to do is change from a monthly grocery budget to an annual budget.  This means that some of the upfront cost of transitioning the yard to an edible oasis will come out of this annual budget.  I suppose some of the aesthetic purchases will not count as part of the food budget, but the “edible” side of this project will be deducted from the food budget.

My goal is to feed our family of four and frequent guests for $6000 annually.  I will keep track and let you know how I am doing occasionally.  Now, I should tell you that when I refer to a grocery budget, I include household items like laundry detergent, toiletries, and the likes.  That allows me to do things like make my own laundry detergent, cleaners, and body lotion to cut costs in order to save money for healthier food and cut down on the number of chemicals and unnatural ingredients in our home.  We also save money and natural resources creatively in our use of water and heat.  Stay tuned for how-to’s on some of these pursuits.

Click here to view a video that attempts to dispel the "unaffordable myth." 

No comments:

Post a Comment