Thursday, May 17, 2012

Seed Varieties

Amaranth: Seeds can be ground into a high protein, gluten-free flour.  Young leaves can be used in salads.

Here’s what I have so far for my top picks on seed varieties:

Beans: 1st choice - Cobra (a Climbing French that is said to have beautiful blooms); 2nd choice – Purple Cascade (also a Climbing French but with purple beans instead of green beans).

 Sugar Snap Peas: 1st choice – Super Sugar Snap (a climber with good production and flavor…dwarf varieties seem to be preferred by many, but I want the bountiful climbing look)

Beets:  1st choice – Boro; 2nd choice – Bolivar (both known for good flavor, texture, and looks)

Chard:  1st choice – Bright Lights (multi-colored stems for visual appeal)

Quinoa:  1st choice – Rainbow (a multi-coloured variety recommended for home growers); 2nd choice – Tamuco

Amaranth:  1st choice – Hopi Red Dye; 2nd choice - Burgandy

Varieties still open for input: garlic, cucumbers, lettuce, peanuts, potatoes, spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, watermelon, cantaloupe, zucchini, onion (the rest of my plants will be acquired as starts, so we’ll worry about those later).  Let me know if you have suggestions for seed varieties for the ones I haven’t decided yet.  I’m looking for beauty and flavor as much as possible! 

I will be transitioning back to the States over the next couple weeks, so bear with me if blog entries are less frequent.  I will continue to track this journey into Learning to Live Local on Less once my hands are in the dirt at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment