Monday, June 18, 2012

Experiment Update


This blog entry is an update on the experiment mentioned in the June 1st entry entitled, “All in a Day’s Work.”  For those of you just tuning in, I laid linen between the grass and new dirt in some of my raised beds but not in others.  Why?  For no better reason than running out of steam…and material.  I am already seeing a difference in the weeds.  There are some determined little pieces of grass already popping up in the raised bed  that do not have linen under them.  So far, it is not a lot, and I can only hope this will be the pattern.  I will have to wait longer before updating you on how the root vegetables handle the linen barrier.  As of today, I would highly recommend anyone building raised beds to go ahead and put a natural fabric barrier between the grass/weeds and the new dirt of the beds.  As usual, extra work upfront usually means less work later.

No comments:

Post a Comment